"Mom always said we need a good night’s sleep.
Modern medicine is proving Mom was right.
Seven hours of quality sleep each night is healthier for your mind and body."
Trudy Shady, MD
Diplomat – ABIM
The Sleep CenterYou Deserve a Good Night of Sleep
Are you having problems falling asleep, staying asleep or even staying awake and alert during daily tasks? Your primary care physician may refer you to the Sleep Center for a comprehensive evaluation of your individual sleep problem. Our sleep specialist will interview you regarding you regarding your sleep habits and perform a physical exam.
This individualized approach is commonly combined with a "sleep study", or polysomnogram, and helps to diagnose the correct problem disturbing your sleep. Your Sleep Study
A "Sleep Study" is a medical assessment of your sleep during an overnight stay in one of the Sleep Center’s private rooms with a comfortable, full-size bed and flat panel TV.
Surface sensors that measure brain, heart, lung, and muscle activity allow our technicians to monitor your sleep. These variables are analyzed and scored by a registered technician and certified physician. Your test results will be discussed with you at your follow-up appointment by the sleep physician and then forwarded to your physician. Help is Available to Address Your Sleep Disorder
Tests to Help You get Your Zzzs
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) – OSA is a partial or complete obstruction of airflow. It is associated with hypertension, stroke, motor vehicle accidents, and death.
- Snoring – A noisy quivering of the soft palate or nose as a person attempts to breathe through a narrow or floppy airway.
- Restless Legs (RLS) & Periodic Limb Movement (PLMS) – RLS occurs while you are awake, and PLMS while you are asleep. Both are characterized by limb movements or "jerks" that either prevent sleep onset or cause frequent arousals during the night resulting in excessive daytime somnolence (EDS).
- Insomnia – Insomnia is a common problem with varying severity. Treatment is individualized depending on the cause.
- Narcolepsy – Narcolepsy is a neurological disorder that is characterized by uncontrollable sleepiness. Sometimes associated with muscular weakness while laughing or crying and episodes of sleep paralysis where a person is fully awake but cannot move for a short period.
The Sleep Center Specializes in the Diagnosis and Treatment of Sleep Disorders.Call 618-659-9520Meet Dr. Shady
- Multiple Sleep Latency Test (MSLT)
- CPAP and BiPAP Titration Testing
Trudy Shady,MD is the Medical Director and a board-certified sleep medicine physician
Ask your primary care physician about The Sleep Center, conveniently located at the Edwardsville Health Center. You will find advanced treatments, expertise and technology close to home.Call 618-659-9520
1121 University Drive
Edwardsville, IL 62025Download Sleep Center BrochureRead the Sleep Center feature story from Gateway to Your Health community newsletter