da Vinci® Robotic Surgery
The da Vinci® Surgical System provides surgeons with an alternative to both traditional open surgery and conventional laparoscopy, by putting a surgeon’s hands at the controls of an advanced robotic platform. It allows surgeons to perform minimally invasive procedures that use smaller incisions that can potentially help reduce complications. This means you can get back to your life and loved ones sooner.
The doctors and surgical staff at Gateway Regional Medical Center are experienced in da Vinci® gynecologic surgery services. As a key part of our Women’s Health program, the da Vinci® Si™ may offer several benefits to patients:
- faster recovery and return to normal daily living activities
- better clinical outcomes in many cases
- less blood loss
- less scarring post-surgery
- lower risk of infection
- less time in the hospital than with traditional surgeries:
- With robotic hysterectomies (removal of the uterus), the patient’s average hospital stay after surgery is reduced by nearly 60 percent.
The da Vinci® Si™ Surgical System is setting a new standard in our community for the surgical treatment of a broad range of gynecologic conditions, such as:
- endometriosis (a painful condition in which the uterine lining moves and attaches to other pelvic organs)
- fibroid (noncancerous) tumors
- other conditions affecting the tubes and ovaries
- prolapsed (downward dropping) uterus
Learn more about robotic-assisted surgery:
da Vinci surgery
da Vinci hysterectomy
Gateway To Health Newsletter featuring da Vinci Surgery
KMOV News video featuring da Vinci Surgery
Meet our Surgeons!
Dennis Hurford, M.D., Michael Scharff, M.D., and Mark Wasserman, M.D., are experienced Ob/Gyn surgeons who perform minimally invasive gynecologic surgery using the da Vinci® Si™ Surgical System. Their interest in this advanced technology centers around their commitment to provide improved outcomes for their patients here in their own communities.
Drs. Hurford and Scharff are partners in practice at Meridian OB/GYN Associates. They are accepting new patients at two locations: Glen Carbon and Granite City.
Dennis Hurford, MD
Michael Scharff, MD
For more information on our Robotic Surgical Services Program email Kate Allaria or call Meridian OB/GYN Associates at (618) 288-9251.